Monday, February 06, 2006

National Certification test today

Well, if you've actually read this blog (don't worry, I probably wouldn't either...), you will know that I'm a nurse practitioner working in orthopedics. Today I have to take a test through the ANCC to be nationally certified. This is useful to me for several reasons:
  1. It will allow me to apply for a Universal Provider Identification Number (UPIN) that will allow me to bill Medicare if I ever work in the outpatient setting.
  2. If I ever move to another state, it may be required to work as a nurse practitioner.
  3. My boss says I need to have it.

It is also a major pain. I haven't been in school for over 5 years, an this test is entirely on "what the book says to do" rather than on "what actually works in real life." I've been in practice long enough that the later is what I actually use. I've also worked in ortho for 5 years - I've had to really study to be able to remember what serology test turns positive first in hepatitis B infection (Hep B surface antigen), or that acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) is the most common leukemia in adults. I deal with bones and joints. Not primary care. Wish me luck.

No comments: